LogoLogo
  Logo
   
  Search
   
  Home
  What's New?
  For Sale
  A History
  Technical
  Stories
  Forum
  Email List
  Members Only
  Links
  Marine Weather
  Local Weather
  Roster
  Contact Us
   
   
Carl Harrington's Yankee Girl Esther, formerly Poisson d' Avril, Yankee #89, Edmands, Washington (updated March 2, 2014)  
   

May 12, 2008. Carl Harrington formally checked in Poisson d' Avril, Yankee #89 with some local news and pictures which follow:

Click here for a large view

Ron -

Good to hear from you.  I've been busy fixing  the motor on my boat.  I've renamed her "Yankee Girl Esther".  I've sailed many a time on Ariadne
and heard she was broken up for lead and parts.  She fell on real hard times after Chris sold her.  Very sad.  But she was probably one of the most used boats out there, period.  At least some others survive.

(Webmaster Note: Click here to go to the latest on Adriadne)

No updates on the Olympia Dolphin, haven't been down there in a few years now (how time flies). It might be Thistle, #99, for all I know.

Eric Sorenson (Parakletos) had his boat out for bottom work, as did I recently.

Attached are  a few photos of my boat underway.  Yes, I have a undersized head sail.  Alas, can't afford new sails this year.  Maybe next.

Love the web site, thanks so much for maintaining it.  I hope to be sailing this weekend!

-Carl

***************************

Carl has done some investigative work on Dolphins in the Puget Sound area. He reports 4 Dolphins seen in addition to Poisson d' Avril. One is in sad shape at the Swantown Marina, Port of Washington.

***********************

June 15, 2010. Click for a link to a short YouTube video of Yankee Girl Esther sailing. Thanks to Erik Evens, Robin Lee, for bringing it to our attention.

****************

June 21, 2011. Carl sent in the following email and update

Ron-

I noticed on the following page that there is an unidentified Dolphin listed as being part of the Washington Yacht Club: http://www.dolphin24.org/ariadne.html

Actually, that is my Dolphin, #89, Esther. Also, a minor correction, the boat's name is Esther, not Ester. (Noted/Corrected/Thanks)

Love the site! Oh, and just got a new roller-furling genoa and main for Esther. She sails great with the new Dacron.

-Carl

**************************

August 23, 2013. Its been a while but Carl's been busy. Here's his update (minor edits)

Ron-

I have some photos of my Dolphin #89 I thought you might want to share.  I have a few projects I've done/am doing if they are of interest.

At left is #89's Builder's Plate - from up under the mast.


Main Hatch

The original had payed seams.  The new one is three pieces of plywood (two with teak facing), laminated together with West System epoxy.  I just painted on the seams for looks.  I kept the original arched shape by laminating them over a big 2x6 jig.  I also made new stainless steel hatch runners, the old plastic ones corroded in the sun.  It only cost $14 for the stainless, then $150 for polishing and countersinks (burned the first on out).  Then added high-modulus plastic inserts into the hatch to protect the wood from sliding on the stainless.  Then I had to add a $50 barrel bolt to keep it from sliding in a bouncy seaway.  Funny how projects kind of grow and grow.

Lazerette Hatch Repair - Someone put a regular steel screw in the back of the starboard laz hatch, so I had to cut off the back part of the hatch due to splitting, then epoxied on a new piece of teak.

This is a picture of the piece glued on, but not yet trimmed down.  The varnish was a mess, so I had to strip it and redo.

 

 

Cabin Trim Bow and Side - The wooden cabin trim on the perimeter of the cabin had worn down to about 1/2" wide by next to nothing thick.  And the tricky part is at the front of the cabin, the wood is in an arch following the cabin top.  My neighbor, retired shipwright, advised me to laminate the piece rather than cut it from stock and risk splitting with the grain.

The real trick will be making the corner pieces where the front arch meets the horizontal sides.  Not looking forward to that part.  The side pieces are 110" long x 7/8" x 1/2" teak. 


 

Cabin Forward

The picture shows the original Dorade boxes and ventilators.  It also shows where I had to remove the old adhesive that held the cabin trim on.  It took four hours of rubbing with acetone to get it all off. 

-Carl

********************************

March 2, 2014. Carl sent in a couple of photos from the book "The Sailboat Classes of North America". Click here to go there

*************************

 
   
1
1 [Home] [A History] [Technical] [Restorations] [Stories] [Forum]
[Members Only] [Links] [Marine Weather] [Local Weather] [Contact Us]
 

© Copyright 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design by EasyWebCreations.com & Powered by ASP Hosting